Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Swaziland asks South Africa for Money

After reading this article from BBC News my head was spinning. Swaziland is Africa's poorest country, but yet when they turn and ask the surround countries around them for money they are denied. Why? I don't understand why and how these governments don't want to work with eachother to help the country as a whole. They say it's because Swaziland is ran by a monarch, and their undemocratic. I realize it may make them think twice about helping, but why can't they lend them something to get them out from this big hole of poverty that they dug themselves deep into? Due to this financial crisis that Swaziland is facing, politicians of this country have seen a ten percent cut decrease from their salaries. This obviously will make many of the people from this country mad and upset, which could and may even lead to wars between the countries for not helping one another out.

One thing I found kind of funny about this article was the idea that King Mswati, the leader of Swaziland, was told to cut back on some of his expenses due to the financial crisis. I laughed when I read that part because it makes me think that he is using what should be money used for the country to satisfy him and he isn't putting any of it towards helping his country out. Another thing I read that I found intersting/funny/weird was that King Mswati has thirteen wives. So obvioulsy the money that should be used for the govenment and country to help aid them is going towards the king, all of his wives, and I'm sure the children he has with these wives as well. Not only did those few facts fascinate me but also the fact that Swaziland is the third largest sugar producer in the world. You would think since they are way up their in producing sugar the country wouldn't be hurting that much, but I guess the government doesn't know how to spend money and manage it. If I was a citizen of that country I would try to get King Mswati out of their and find someone to replace him before we get in a bigger hole than what we already are.

As you can see, this article was just a weird one because one I don't understand why the other countries in Africa won't help Swaziland out and two you would think that some type of initative would be taken to better aid the country from going downhill.

No comments:

Post a Comment